Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 01:09:28 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
To:        "Thomas Lau" <lkthomas@hkicable.com>, "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Western Digital or IBM of Hard Disk are better?

> The German magazine c't did a comparison of hard disks about a year
> ago; at that time, IBM had by far the best performance.  I have used
> them and had no problems.

Likewise the magasine PC Pro in the UK (and possibly published elsewhere also) had a group
test of hard drives a couple of months ago and IDE wise the IBM IDE drives were still well
ahead of the pack....catching up in some areas with some of the slower SCSI devices
apparently.

Have to say I've just had a computer almost completely melt down, all IDE devices,
processor, graphics card were dead with the exception of my 3 year old IBM hard drive
which is fine....perhaps you've just had bad luck with the drives you've had.

Mark