Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 2004 10:32:30 +0200
From:      Alberto De Boni <warfox@neobe.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SmartCtl and Array Disks, BSD 4.10

Hi,
    just a little question. I've installed BSD 4.10 on a motherboard
with Highpoint array Raid 0-1controller. I've used two 80Gb Maxtor HDD
configured as mirror. All works very fine, atacontrol let me to add a
spare disk as i need, the O.s. works without any problem and
performaneces are very good.
Now, i would like to add S.M.A.R.T control on my disks and here we are
with the problems:

BSD let me se only a combined device called ar0 (and of course this is
right). The problem is that  smartcontrol cannot check smart data on ar0
device.
Is there a way to see the two real device ad4/ad6 and check for smart
datas?

I know that a 3ware controller would be a better choiche and will do the
job, but then costs will grow more than i want.

Thanks in advance..

Alberto De Boni