Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 17:01:38 -0600
From:      Jim <jameso@omaha.com>
To:        Juergen Nickelsen <jnickelsen@acm.org>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More BSD books (was: What result would *you* like from the merger?)

Juergen Nickelsen wrote:

> > Any input on what you'd loke to see in the book is welcome.
>
> Mail configuration. Not a rewrite of the bat book, but perhaps some
> sendmail examples (with pointers into the bat book, of course). Some
> information about other MTAs (Postfix, Exim, Qmail).

Now, this is just me, and I am no way thinking I know how to write a
good book, or what it takes to make one good. I just read allot.

I would think that information about setting up a MTA would not directly
be relevant to a book on Advanced BSD administration. There are so many
Unix books out there in the world that give a little bit of information
about so many different topics that they can go into detail in none.
Then there are others that directly talk about one subject, cover is
completely and answer all your questions. My self, and this is strictly
personal opinion, I prefer the second type.

I would like to see a BSD admin book that goes into the hard-core
details about the system, and only pertains to BSD. BSD kernal config,
BSD performance tuning, BSD advanced networking (IPsec, IPv6, etc), BSD
disk layout for best performance, BSD boot script tweaking, BSD upgrade
processes, etc. Really, I think that anything not pertaining to BSD
would be unneeded as there is more then likely many books that cover
those same topics. The perfect BSD admin book would pick up where "the
complete freebsd" leaves off, and go into great detail about BSD
specific issues.

Jim