Date:      Wed, 6 Aug 2003 09:31:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Kraemer <brian@etchings.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   statically compiled files left over after a 'make world'

Hello,

I recently did a 'make world' to update my base system due to the realpath
bug. After that finished, I noticed that I still had the following
statically compiled binaries laying around that did not get updated during
a 'make world'. I track 4-STABLE.

/usr/bin/miniperl
/sbin/mount_kernfs
/sbin/mount_devfs
/sbin/modunload
/sbin/modload
/sbin/ft
/stand/boot_crunch
/stand/find
/stand/sed
/stand/test
/stand/pwd
/stand/ppp
/stand/newfs
/stand/minigzip
/stand/cpio
/stand/bad144
/stand/fsck
/stand/ifconfig
/stand/route
/stand/slattach
/stand/mount_nfs
/stand/dhclient
/stand/arp
/stand/gzip
/stand/gunzip
/stand/zcat
/stand/-sh
/stand/[
/stand/sh

Since they were not updated during a 'make world', does that mean that
they are deprecated and can be safely removed?

If not, why weren't they updated during a 'make world'? Is it a security
risk having them stick around since they haven't been re-linked against the
new libc?

Thanks,

-Brian