Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:59:17 +1100 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?eodyna?= <eodyna@yahoo.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   libfreetype.a: Bad address --> hard error reading

Greetings all,

Due to yesterday error on 4.9-RELEASE of FreeBSD.
<snip>
hard error reading fsbn
ad0: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode

&

libfreetype.a: Bad address
</snip>

i tried changing some kernel paramaters

mainly these two

hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"
hw.ata.ata_dma="1"

However, that didn't change anything.

I also recompiled the GENERIC kernel (as is - on first
installation) and that produced the same error, when
trying to install XFree86-4.

So I revereted back to 4.8-RELEASE of FreeBSD. Lo and
Behold everything worked fine. No errors nothing.

So I again installed 4.9-RELEASE on my laptop and what
do I find?
Yes thats right, dmesg out of the same sort of error

"hard error reading fsbn
ad0: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode"

I think my laptop doesn't like 4.9-RELEASE.

Has anyone experienced something like this before?
My laptop is a Dell Latitude (H model i think).

I dont really know how to troubleshoot/fix this.
If anyone has any ideas/suggestions, on how to go
about this id greatly appreciate it.

Im not sure, if it maybe a BIOS thing or a kernel
thing.

Thanks again

Hi,

thanks for that.
I know it works with 4.8.
but ill try re-installing it again and see how i go.
Ill post again later if i still have the same
problems.

Thank-you

 --- Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com> wrote: > eodyna

http://au.movies.yahoo.com