Date:      Sat, 24 Jul 2004 16:26:38 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        julian@elischer.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using -current on a Fujitsu Lifebook N5010 (no Atheros 802.11, no Ethernet, + hard freezes)

In message: <40FE1576.10206@elischer.org>
            Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> writes:
: Jake Hamby wrote:
: >  1) Ethernet chipset not recognized.
: >
: >  This laptop uses the SiS 648 chipset and includes a 10/100 Ethernet
: >  port with a Realtek 8139-compatible interface. More specifically, it
: >  is vendor id 0x10EC (Realtek), device id 0x8139 on PCI device
: >  00:07.0, recognized as type 'RTL-8100B/8139D' by the Linux 8139too
: >  driver.
: >
: >  What is even stranger is that this card shows up in a DOS-based
: >  hardware scan (using AIDA from the Ultimate Boot CD), but not in the
: >  output of pciconf. Nor does it show up in the dmesg output, even as
: >  an unknown device.
:
: probably an unsupported bridge between it and the CPU..
: I'll let the bus enumeration types handle that..

This is a known problem, but I have no clue why it happens.  Since it
is at 0:7:0, there's no bridges between it and the CPU.

I'm guessing that there's some minor, tiny standard violation in our
pci config cycle generation.  Either that, or there's some power
domain that isn't properly being turned on when you boot an acpi based
OS.  It is hard to say w/o access to the hardware.

Warner