Date:      Wed, 20 Apr 2011 13:47:36 -0500
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Modifying Sendmail's Configuration the Correct way.

	The /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file very clearly tells one
not to edit it directly so I edited the
/etc/mail/my.name.domain.mc file as stated in documentation to
cause this system to send all out-bound mail through a "smart host."

	The .mc file part that adds the smart host looks like:

dnl Dialup users should uncomment and define this appropriately
dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `your.isp.mail.server')
define(`SMART_HOST', `mailserver.okstate.edu')

	After that, I did a make in that directory and things
seemed to go well. After restarting sendmail, it still wanted to
resolve normally and not use the gateway.

	The only way we could get it to behave as desired was to
do what one is not supposed to do and edit sendmail.cf and add
the mailserver.okstate.edu name right against the line beginning
with DS

	After another restart, everything worked. What am I
failing to do as this is not the proper way to reconfigure
sendmail?

The DS line in the master file looks like

DSmailserver.okstate.edu

	Many thanks and the handbook is very helpful but I
haven't seemed to run across anything that directly addresses
this situation.