Date:      Sat, 11 Aug 2001 22:43:16 +0100
From:      Richard Smith <rdls@satamatics.com>
To:        Walentyn@newsguy.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW STEALTH

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 01:43:07PM -0700, Walentyn@newsguy.com wrote:
> After using IPFilter/IPNat and GBLight successfully on different boxes for a
> couple of years, I am trying and have set up a working IPFirewall/Natd
> firewall on another box.
>
> One thing eludes me though, with either IPF/Nat or GBL you can easily set up
> invisible (stealth) firewalls.  How do I make the IPFW/NATD firewall stealth?
>
> I have read Renaud Waldura most excellent IPFW how-to at:
>
> http://renaud.waldura.com/doc/freebsd/firewall/
>
> wherein he makes reference to a "DROP_SILENT knob" to IPFW.  However, I cannot
> find it anywhere.

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but the kernel option:
	options IPSTEALTH

and the following sysctl's may help:
	net.inet.tcp.blackhole=2
	net.inet.udp.blackhole=1
	net.inet.ip.stealth=1

> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Walentyn

Richard Smith
Network Systems Director
Satamatics Ltd
Green Lane, Tewkesbury, GL20 8HD, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 1684 278610
Fax: +44 1684 278611