Date:      Mon, 08 Feb 1999 11:01:06 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Licia <licia@o-o.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL *again* (was: New CODA release)

> I see your point about the language. Still I strongly believe that,
> if we do not place a "poison pill" against the GPL in our licenses,
> we will see the GPL subsume all else. If you were to add something
> that would prevent open source code from being relicensed under
> the GPL, how would you phrase it?

I wouldn't add a thing.  Poison pills have a way of poisoning the
owners and I don't see them as an effective or desirable form of
defense at all.

For each degree of increased freedom always comes a corresonding
degree of increased risk and that's just life.  I think the
freedom/risk ratio is already well balanced in the 2-clause BSD
license and I wouldn't be inclined to do anything which alters that
balance.

- Jordan