Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 00:27:48 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Dmitry Khrustalev <dima@zippy.machaon.ru>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS question..

> I don't know why I am having such a bad luck with FreeBSD, but I am only
> getting about 300KB/s on writes over 10MBit network while exchange between
> Windoze machines yields about 900KB/s. Someday I will try SMB client on
> OS/2, but I was pretty happy with NFS -- until I switched to FreeBSD.

Another thing to try is to turn off write gathering - it can interact
poorly with clients that write one block at a time instead of having
multiple outstanding writes. You can check if write gathering is being
effective using nfsstat, look for Opsaved number. The knob is
vfs.nfs.gatherdelay, set it to 0.

	-Dima