Date:      Sat, 28 Sep 2002 18:19:35 -0600
From:      David Zeibin <eic@gateway.ualberta.ca>
To:        <freebsd-reply@akruijff.dds.nl>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: DHCP/network problems when installing, dhclient "returns status of 2"

Comments in line...

> DZ> My setup is a little bit weird: I have a FreeBSD machine currently serving
> DZ> happily. It is also configured to act as a basic firewall so my laptop can
> DZ> access the Internet. Usually, I just use static settings on my laptop to
> DZ> communicate between the server and the laptop. I just recently got the
> DHCP
> DZ> server going, and all is well. Laptop (Mac OS9.2.2, Open Transport 2.7.9)
> DZ> works A-OK, discover, offer, request, acknowledge are all great...
>
> Did you install net/isc-dhcp3/?

What do you mean exactly? I have installed ISC's dhcp-3.0.1rc9 and it is
working properly with my Powerbook requesting DHCP from the current server.
Is that something that goes along with the package I have installed? I fear
that dhclient in sysinstall is misbehaving, and not so much dhcpd on the
server... but who knows...?

> DZ> Host: hilary.urbanpush.com
> DZ> Domain: urbanpush.com
> DZ> IPv4 Gateway: 10.0.0.1      // IP of frontline machine ie. Router
> DZ> Name Server: 129.128.5.233  // the one I always use
> DZ> IPv4 Address: 10.0.0.2      // IP I want this machine to be on local
> network
> DZ> Netmask: 255.0.0.0          // Class A type network
> DZ> No extra ifconfig options...
>
> You got these values by clicking DHCP rigth?

No. The DHCP request times out and gives me a blank network configuration
screen. These numbers are the values I use when I select a static IP on my
laptop, which also works fine. That is why I am so baffled. If all the
settings are what I usually use, why am I not getting anywhere? Sigh.

> DZ> To note, the frontline box (dhcpd) does not display any DHCP-related
> DZ> messages during this attempt.
>
> Try killing dhcpd on the server and starting it in the foreground with
> debug options. 'dhcpd -d' you may need other flag, check 'man dhcpd'
> for these.

Yep. Tried that. I had been tweaking dhcpd.conf forever just to get dhcpd to
work with my laptop (works fine now: i see all the neat messages fly back
and forth when I'm connected). Do you think I need a special entry in there?
Something that will assign an IP based on its ethernet address (I guess I
could assign it a host/domain name at that point too)? I haven't tried that
yet...

> You wan't to check the /etc/rc.conf file afther the installation. If
> you find something like xxx_fxp0="DHCP" all is ok.

Can't get that far into installation. DHCP is set up on the current server
(it requests a specific IP from the DHCP server) so I know what you mean. My
problem is getting connected so I can simply install.

> You are behind a NAT server right? Then you have to use the passive
> FTP mode. Normal mode doesn't work.

Yep. I've been trying the passive mode exclusively. Sorry... Forgot to
mention that.

I'm at work and I'm installing along and all is well. However, I'd bet these
problems will persist when I return home. Network seems easier to configure
in rc.conf than with these silly screens.

Give me my command prompt!

> DZ> Thanks in advance for any advice/info you might be able to offer.
>
> If you arn't able to install it with DHCP, try giving it a static IP
> adres. You can change it later to DHCP.

Yep. It won't go. That's when it hangs. Just churns away. Not a care in the
world....

doo doo dooo doo

Thanks.

Dave