Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 2004 15:23:53 -0200
From:      Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Herve Quiroz <herve.quiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
Subject:   Re: ports/74696: net/xnap: Remove crosslisting in java category

	Well, this PR is about a better understanding of what means the
java category.

	Its current use also encompasses applications as seen in both

http://www.freebsd.org/ports/java.html

and

http://www.freshports.org/java/

	Checking out the Porter's Handbook which should be the source
of all knowledge (*giggles*, well, it lags behind but it should be :).

	The java category is listed as: "java Software related to the Java language."

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-categories.html#AEN782

	So, it comes to this. Are we saying that the current usage
should be changed to java language related applications not including
applications written in java?

	I do not think so but the ports system is adaptable and
ever changing so it would be nice to visit this question.

	How does the java@ team feels about it? I for one think
that we should keep the current statement, java as primary category
for applications related primarily to the languange and secondary
for anything written in java as we have for perl and python.

	What do you guys think?

	Regards,

--
Mario S F Ferreira - DF - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
feature, n: a documented bug | bug, n: an undocumented feature