Date:      Wed, 1 Oct 1997 17:38:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Steven G. Kargl" <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        wollman@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   netatalk broken in -current

Garrett,

[cc'd to freebsd-current]

Netatalk is broken in -current.  I've tracked the problem
down to commits made on Aug 16.  A kernel built with sources
cvsup'd with

*default host=cvsup.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/freebsd
*default prefix=/freebsd
*default release=cvs tag=.
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default date=97.08.16.00.00.00

boots and netatalk works.  If date= is changed to 97.08.17.00.00.00,
then the resulting kernel claims that the netatalk protocols are
not supported.  I believe that this problem arose with some of the changes
to src/sys/netatalk/ddp_usrreq.c.

-----------------------------
1.9 Sat Aug 16 19:15:33 1997 by wollman
Diffs to 1.8

Fix all areas of the system (or at least all those in LINT) to avoid storing
socket addresses in mbufs.  (Socket buffers are the one exception.)  A number
of kernel APIs needed to get fixed in order to make this happen.  Also,
fix three protocol families which kept PCBs in mbufs to not malloc them
instead.  Delete some old compatibility cruft while we're at it, and add
some new routines in the in_cksum family.

Unfortunately, it looks like massive changes went into cleaning up
the use of mbufs, so I don't know where to look to fix the problem.

--
Steve

finger kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~kargl/sgk.html