Date:      Sat, 1 Sep 2001 00:12:20 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Chip" <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: replacing a cisco router with a fbsd box

I just don't like seeing the 1600 slammed for no reason.  Of course, it's
possible that you can get a bad piece of hardware - but I've only seen
2 end-node Ciscos that ever had trouble.  One was a 1600 that was being used
as
a VPN termination device and pumping up the ram fixed the problem.  (it
supported over 40 simultaneous connections before upchucking, what more
can you expect with 4MB of total ram in the thing?)  The second was a used
1005 that I bought that had a bad ethernet port on it.

>The company did buy a service contract with the router, which
>ran out a few months ago. And at that time the router was updated
>with the latest version of the IOS.

Hmmm - are you absolutely sure that your COO login is no longer valid?
Have you tried it recently?  You might.

>Which did nothing to solve the problem of it needing to be
>'rebooted' by a power-off. AND the company also has retained
>a Cisco consultant to handle configuring our routers. They swear
>there is nothing wrong with it.

Oh geeze - well let me say this - if you ever have a consultant come
in to work on a Cisco router who tells you there's nothing wrong with a
Cisco router that you can't just login to and issue the "reload" command to
reboot it, then he doesen't know what he's talking about.  That's just common
sense - if the machine is malfunctioning you don't sit there and tell
the customer it ain't broken!!!

Sure, sometimes it's _hard_ to pinpoint an intermittent problem.  But, at
the bare minimum the consultant should have at least swapped out your router
with a loaner for a week or so to see if the problem kept happening, that's
the very first thing I'd do after making sure there wasn't anything obviously
wrong with the image version or the configuration.

Rebooting the device and when it comes back up just saying that you don't
see anything wrong is the kind of amateurish troubleshooting that is used
with Windows users.

>-snip-
>>Cisco IOS is just like any other operating system,
>>there's good versions and bad versions.  Cisco deferrs the
>>bad versions quite rapidly but unless you have some
>>experience with IOS versions, your not going to understand
>>what's going on with IOS versions even if you did have
>>COO access. We have many, many customers with
>>rock-solid 1600's.
>
>I sent a follow up message, maybe you missed it, where I
>made a correction of the router model, it's a 2610. We also
>have two 2500's and a 1600, all of which have never had
>any problems what-so-ever.

I did - but what I said still applies.  I think your consultant send
you down the yellow gold brick road.  When faced with an intermittent
router, first you review the configuration, (both hardware and software)
then if there's nothing wrong with that you do a hardware swap with a
loner and see if the problem follows the device or not.  It's not
rocket science.

>>Frankly if yours is such a piece of junk then please sell it
>>to me for what you are saying it's worth and I'll find a good
>>home for it. :-)
>>Ted Mittelstaedt
>>tedm@toybox.placo.com
>>Author of:                           The FreeBSD
>>Corporate Networker's Guide
>
>Good book by-the-way, I bought a copy soon as it hit the shelves.

Thank!