Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 20:38:45 -0400
From:      Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
To:        chris@bahnhof.se
Cc:        sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Progress! or Progress?

Apparently, On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 11:27:24AM +0200,
	chris@bahnhof.se said words to the effect of;

> Hi all!
>
> Beeing one of those out there who belive that just a bootable system with
> wery limited IO support will kick some life into the Sparc port. I was
> wery glad to read this in the August 2001 status report:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-august-2001.html#FreeBSD/sparc64-port
> "Sparc64 development is still continuing rapidly and we're making some
> excellent progress. Of note, some problems with the way the pmap module
> implements copy-on-write mappings have been fixed and fork() now works as
> expected, support for signals has been added, and the port has been
> updated for kse in the perforce repository. Thomas Moestl has begun work
> on pci bus support, and a basic nexus bus for sparc64 has been written.
> The driver for the Sun `Psycho' and `Sabre' UPA-to-PCI bridges and
> associated code has been ported from NetBSD PCI configuration, I/O and
> memory space accesses do already work, as well as interrupt assignment
> and delivery for devices attached directly to the bridge, and the first
> PCI device drivers can attach and seem to work mostly. Interrupt routing
> and busdma support still need much work."
>
> So what does this mean?
>
> Is it possible to boot a kernel and actually execute some programs now?

Yes, small programs.   Things like this work:

#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/uio.h>

#include <fcntl.h>
#include <unistd.h>

int
main(int ac, char **av)
{
	int fd;

	if ((fd = open("/dev/console", O_RDWR)) < 0)
		err(1, NULL);
	if (login_tty(fd) < 0)
		err(1, NULL);
	write(1, "hello world\n", sizeof "hello world\n");
	return (0);
}

I've been able to build a "real" init binary which gets pretty far,
but not to single user yet.  The other developer who is working on
the device code just mentioned today that he's got mouting root from
disk working.

> Is there any more information about how long the port has advanced out
> there?
>
> Really i dont want to intterupt the development with answering my stupid
> questions, so if you lack time for a lengthy text. Why not post the latest
> output from the system booting?

http://people.freebsd.org/~jake/tip.record

Note the "hello world".  The pci code which you can see the probes
from hasn't been committed to cvs yet.

I haven't been able to get a trace of the init binary crashing because
I didn't have time to force it into the debugger last night.  Hopefully
it'll get further tonight.

When 5.0-release was scheduled for november the goal was to have
single user mode running by then.  I think we're on track for then
if not sooner.

> Keep the good work up!

Thanks!

Jake