Date:      Tue, 07 Dec 2004 17:52:15 +0000
From:      mark@markdnet.demon.co.uk
To:        "Christoph Moench-Tegeder" <cmt@burggraben.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Large port updates

cmt@burggraben.net wrote:

> Not in this case. Check /usr/ports/UPDATING 20041107:
> : Do NOT use portupgrade(1) to update your GNOME 2.6 desktop to 2.8

Last time this happened, this is what caused my to deinstall gnome. THe upgrade script could take weeks to run on a reasonable spec machine because it insisted on rebuilding all sorts of stuff. You couldn't stop it, or it would start over.

It seems to me that its a product of gnome being so many ports. Why not just have a few, like KDE (although it appears KDE is going the way of gnome - if this results in portupgrade not working there either, its insanity).

Mark