Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 2004 04:42:17 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dag-Erling =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: New bsd.*.mk changes

--=-tQL30KvskMeQ1Di5fTF4

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 04:38, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:
> Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> > Type: FEATURE
> >
> > Title: Add new command macros to bsd.port.mk
> >
> > Affects: bsd.port.mk

> > bsd.port.mk: BRANDELF =3D> /usr/bin/brandelf, CPIO =3D> /usr/bin/cpio,
> > DIALOG =3D> /usr/bin/dialog, OBJCOPY =3D> /usr/bin/objcopy, PASTE =3D>
> > /usr/bin/paste, PAX =3D> /bin/pax, PRINTF =3D> /usr/bin/printf, SORT =
=3D>
> > /usr/bin/sort, UNZIP_CMD =3D> /usr/bin/unzip or ${LOCALBASE}/bin/unzip.
> >

> > PR: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D59058
> >
> > Submitted by: eik
>=20
> I actually submitted a patch for CPIO ages ago, along with a few
> others which still haven't been committed (see attached patch).

I did a general call for patches over a week ago.  If you had things you
wanted tested, that was the time to bring them up.

>   The
> perl part of the patch is especially important and should have been
> committed before the 5.2-RELEASE package builds.  Perl 5.6.1 is so old
> it's nearly useless, and installing a package with a dependency on
> Perl 5.6.1 will clobber Perl 5.8.2 without warning if it's installed.

This was discussed, but I think the Perl maintainer, tobez, didn't think
5.8.2 was ready.  I'm certainly all for doing this, but I don't want to
disrupt working ports.  If tobez agrees, this should be something we
will definitely test on the next experimental patches build.

Joe

>=20
> DES
--=20