Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 2020 22:02:16 -0400
From:      Waitman Gobble <waitman@waitman.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: FreeBSD src repo transitioning to git this weekend

On 2020-12-17 21:53, Thomas Mueller wrote:
>> > I hope we don't have to start signing all commits.  saltstack/salt has
>> > that policy, and it's extremely annoying.
>
>> Have to? Not currently. As with all process changes, there will be
>> community discussion around the different points.
>
>> Warner
>
> I hope not!
>
> Signatures, at least in email messages, are just an annoyance as I see
> them.
>
> I don't even know how do sign an email message or make use of a
> signature in a message I receive.
>
> I have never made a commit to a repository, so would not be familiar
> with signatures there; imagine it would be a barrier.
>
> Tom

I'm not a FreeBSD committer, but on other git projects I sign my
commits. AFAIK it's a good idea.

I'm curious what is annoying about it? It's just adding the 'sign' tag.
If you want a portable GPG key check out something like a yubikey. I'm
sure there's other portable hardware options.

# git commit -S -m "message"

You can also set to always sign automatically,

# git config --global commit.gpgsign true

--
Waitman Gobble