Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 12:24:44 -0800
From:      scott worley <folokai@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD boot loaders?

Hi,

Just moved my main workstation from linux to FreeBSD 4.5RC2.  I was comfortable using GRUB on linux but I haven't found good documention on configuring the FreeBSD boot loaders.

From the docs freebsd installs something called booteasy which isn't configurable?

There are hints of a highly configurable boot loader for freebsd in the docs plus I see files in /boot which have options in them.  Where are examples on how it?

Most of the docs I've found on the web are about using LILO or NT's boot loader.

I can always install the port of grub but it doens't like netbsd which I'm going to load on the same machine.

Current setup is:
/dev/da0s1 freebsd 4.5 slice(whole disk)
/dev/da1s1 linux swap
/dev/da1s2 linux /boot (set bootable)
/dev/da1s3 linux /
/dev/da1s4 empty, future netbsd

the partitions on da1 were created after freebsd was installed so booteasy gives me:
F1 FreeBSD
F5 disk1

disklabel /dev/da1 spits out all the scsi drive info and
c: 17783240 0 unused 0 0 # (Cyl. 0 - 1106*)

Do freebsd boot manager(s) require disklabels on all disks?

thanks,
scott
folokai@earthlink.net