Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:21:32 -0700
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        Jeandre du Toit <jeandre@itvs.co.za>, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Loving the FreeBSD

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 04:30 am, Jeandre du Toit wrote:

>           i would like you to keep you os of my front porch. if i see
> windows in or near my house again there will be trouble.

Hee hee!

I just built myself a new computer, and Windows is one of the OSs that
will run on it. My first experience with Windows XP leaves me less than
thrilled.

Formatting a 20Gig UFS2+Softupdates partition: less than five seconds.
Versus. Formatting a 20Gig NTFS partition: ten minutes.

Installing FreeBSD 5.1: about ten minutes, with zero reboots. Versus.
Installing Windows XP: 52 minutes, plus two reboots (fewer reboots than
with 98 though!).

Security advisories: FreeBSD 5.1 none that affect my system. Versus.
Windows XP + SP1 + about 40Megs of critical updates. I haven't even
gotten around to the fixes for those two internet shattering worms that
hit during the last two weeks.

Setting up a DVD player in FreeBSD: install MPlayer and everything just
works. Versus. Setting up a DVD player in Windows XP: Try Windows Media
Player 9.0. Media Player crashes. Try "demo" version of WinDVD. Doesn't
work. Still haven't gotten DVD playback to work under Windows yet.

Yes, I need more technical savvy to use FreeBSD. But since I already
have some small modicum of technical savvy, the choice for me is clear.
The only thing keeping Windows around for me is a tiny handful of
applications and the occasional game.

David