Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 10:12:42 -0500
From:      "Charlie Schloemer" <charlie@infoworks.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "Martin Von_Schantz" <ikaros_net@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: more problems with telnet login

On 1 Oct 00, at 16:42, Martin Von_Schantz wrote:

> Hi again, I did as you guys recommended and put a line in my /etc/hosts file
> for my computer, and then the telnet login had no problem with logging in at
> once. No delays of any kind.
>
> But I have tested my dns server and I cannot find any error in any part, the
> reverse zone is working just fine so looking up the domainname for my
> computer ip is no match (at least not if I look it up from the server).

> But now I started to wonder, is it possible that the error lies in windows
> 2000, trying to take overlap the dns or something like that.
> I have found several interesting buttons in the "ip properties" such as
> "register this connections addresses at dns server" and "netbios over
> tcp/ip" that are checked by default.

> When I try and resolve the name for my machine (from my machine to the dns
> server) the netbios name pops up instead, not the dns name as I want.

You're right to disable Microsoftisms, like "register this address
with the DNS server" and any other freakish things you can find.
When you're trying to resolve this name and get the NetBIOS
name, are you using the FQDN?  NetBIOS names should never be
greater than 14 characters in length, I believe, and certainly
wouldn't be dotted like a FQDN.

Also, Windows should check its session cache for NetBIOS/DNS
names, then LMHOSTS and HOSTS, and only then should it try to
resolve via WINS/DNS.  (Keep in mind that NetBIOS names will
attempt to resolve via broadcasts in the absense of a WINS server.)
 You can check your NetBIOS session cache with:

nbtstat -c

If you want to purge it, use:

nbtstat -R

Also, check your LMHOSTS and HOSTS files for any entries you
might not be aware of.  I'm not sure about Win2K, but in Winnt 4.0,
those files were in X:\Winnt\System32\Drivers\Etc, where X: is your
%SystemRoot% drive.

At any rate, no setting with Win2K should be affecting your
FreeBSD box's ability to resolve names, as it isn't concerned with
NetBIOS networking.

Good luck,
-charlie