Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 23:36:49 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        tyler spivey <tspivey8@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD VS OpenBSD/Netbsd/etc...

tyler spivey (tspivey8@home.com) wrote:

> i have a pentium 200 mhz, 128 mb of ram, and a 5 gig hd.
> what bsd implementation is faster?

My personal benchmarks show that FreeBSD-4.4 is over 50% faster than
OpenBSD 2.9, and a whopping 9.2 times faster than NetBSD 1.5.2.

> i come from a linux background and am switching over to bsd.

I installed Debian on a spare hard drive, but get an unpleasant
feeling every time I use it.  Despite all the great things
people say about apt-get, I really hate precompiled binaries...
What good are they if you want to compile SSL into mutt, pcre into
postfix, mail and news out of Mozilla, etc.?

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com