Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 18:26:06 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch for FILE problems (was Re: -CURRENT is bad for me...)

In message <xzpd7cno08x.fsf@flood.ping.uio.no> Dag-Erling Smorgrav writes:
: Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au> writes:
: > http://people.freebsd.org/~peter/stdio.diff3
:
: Except that we bump to 500 instead of 6, and back to 5 before
: -RELEASE.

I don't think this will work.  It is hard to downgrade a major number
for libc.so.  At least it used to be.

: People tracking -CURRENT will end up with a handful of different libc
: versions, but they'll avoid the pains we're going through now, and
: people upgrading from RELENG_N to RELENG_N+1 will never see a libc
: major version increase of more than 1.

I don't see why we need only an increment of 1.  What does this buy us
other than a minor warm fuzzy.  OpenBSD bumps libc bunchs of times per
release cycle (they are up to libc.so.24 if my sources are current).
I've not seen it cause problems there.

Warner