Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2002 20:54:35 +0100
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@freebsd.org>
To:        "Jeffrey P.Bogert" <jbogert@mitre.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Handbook

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 11:57:02AM -0500, Jeffrey P.Bogert wrote:
> Gentlemen:
> I congradulate you on a very conplete and detailed Handbook.
> I am new to FreeBSD, but do have prior Linux and Solaris experience.
> I am in the process of getting FreeBSD up on one of my home computers.
>
> I noted the following two problems in Chapter 2 of the PDF version that
> I would like to bring to your attention:
> (I tried the html version first but the ScreenShots overwrite some of
> the text)
>
> 1)  on page 34 in the fifth para it has the following  :
> "Slice numbers follow the device name, prefixed with an s, starting at
> 1. So “da0s1” is the first slice on the first SCSI
> drive. There can only be four physical slices on a disk, but you can
> have logical slices inside physical slices of the
> appropriate type. These extended slices are numbered starting at 5, so
> “ad0s5” is the first extended slice on a disk.
> These devices are used by file systems that expect to occupy a slice."
>
> I believe that to keep the same drive and refer to an extended slice on
> that drive, you mean to have da0s5 in the last sentence instead of
> ad0s5.

To be consistent with the rest of the section I changed "is the first
extended slice on a disk" with "is the first extended slice on the
first IDE disk."

> 2)  on page 53 in the section "Netmask"
> the Class C block should be 192.168.0.0-192.168.0.255 instead of
> 192.168.0.0-192.168.255.255

According to RFCs (rfc1918 for example), the Handbook is correct:

   The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has reserved the
   following three blocks of the IP address space for private internets:

     10.0.0.0        -   10.255.255.255  (10/8 prefix)
     172.16.0.0      -   172.31.255.255  (172.16/12 prefix)
     192.168.0.0     -   192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix)

   We will refer to the first block as "24-bit block", the second as
   "20-bit block", and to the third as "16-bit" block. Note that (in
   pre-CIDR notation) the first block is nothing but a single class A
   network number, while the second block is a set of 16 contiguous
   class B network numbers, and third block is a set of 256 contiguous
   class C network numbers.

The Handbook says "Class C block" not "Class C network", so it's Ok.

Marc