Date:      Wed, 03 Oct 2001 04:35:58 -0400
From:      Jeff Duffy <jeff@alanne.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Alphastation 255 de0 IRQ mappings

Greetings.

  I have an Alphastation 255 with two D-Link 530-TX+ cards and a Promise
ATA-100 controller in the PCI slots, running 4.4-RELEASE. After looking
through the archives and Google, I can't seem to figure out how to get
the onboard DEC Ethernet controller (de) to initiate when the PCI slots
are full, due to an IRQ conflict.

  At boot, whatever card happens to be in the third PCI slot snatches
IRQ 5, which causes the init of de0 to fail. It seems that the firmware
will always map the onboard ethernet to IRQ 5, assuming that other
devices can be shared.

  I can't find any utility like iconfig or ewrk_config to remap the
onboard ethernet IRQ, and I can't seem to get de0 to come up unless I
leave that slot empty. I'm hoping that rebuilding the kernel and
assigning de0 an IRQ explicitly will help, but I'm still hunting down
weird 'link already exists' errors.

  Is there some nifty way to remap the IRQ of de0 I've missed without
recompiling?

Thanks.

Jeff Duffy