Date:      Wed, 02 Jun 1999 23:34:11 -0700
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Clark Joel A1C AMC CSS <Joel.Clark@scott.af.mil>, "'net@freebsd.org'" <net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Routers and such

--==_Exmh_-1999846389P

If memory serves me right, Wes Peters wrote:
> Clark Joel A1C AMC CSS wrote:
> >
> > When does a router become necessary?  I assume since our private TCP/IP
> > works fine (firewall, natd, etc), that it isn't always necessary.
>
> A router is necessary when the machine you're using becomes to slow
> to handle the load.  There's no reason why you can't just grab another
> FreeBSD machine and build a router on it.  Even a P100 can easily keep
> up with DSL, Cable Modem, or T1 speeds.  ISDN or analog modems are no
> problem, as long as you get good serial ports.

That's true for one particular environment (small network attached to a
consumer ISP, where everything goes through a single gateway).

When I first read this question, however, I thought, "When you can't put
all your hosts on a single subnet and you need to build an
internetwork."  I'm thinking of a campus network setting, and it's not
clear to me which environment the original question was addressing.

Cheers,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1999846389P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBN1Yh46jOOi0j7CY9AQFSoAQAihzzd9yfoySxDMvIYghGlXnv0rZ1lVm8
snvy6js2GkmR3elTEIT1Fr/FlAjkDziNHvGHqI+BVwBHjTzdELbLJfrumXFV5uO5
SERw1BHENpXldJWfPpODMThUlC4muPgU4GXXcySenbJvDQWDVB1Q/L+AyEV1dc9P
CZqpbFZXlKY=
=RdDb
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_-1999846389P--