Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 2021 11:18:17 -0600
From:      Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>
Subject:   Re: Daily Reports No Longer Getting Mailed

On 3/9/21 11:02 AM, Tim Daneliuk via freebsd-questions wrote:
> One of our production servers suddenly stopped sending daily reporting emails.
>
> We have made some changes in mail config on that server, but I am at a loss
> as to how to diagnose.  At first it seemed that the 'mailutils' packages was
> interfering, but removing it and running 'periodic daily' still produced no
> mail output.
>
> Suggestions for debugging would be welcome.
>
> (no changes to default periodic settings have been made)
>
> TIA

OK, so we found the culprit(s) but it is puzzling:

In /etc/mail access we had this:

GreetPause:127.0.0.1    0                        # Time to wait before 220 msg
ClientRate:127.0.0.1    0                        # Connections/interval
ClientConn:127.0.0.1    0                        # Concurrent connections

The (apparently wrong) understanding was the '0' for the last two would mean
"unlimited".  Changing these to reasonable positive integers fixed the local
mail delivery problem.

So. in this context does '0' actually mean "None" or is there something missing
in my understanding?  How do you indicate "No Limit" or is that not advised?