Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 2015 16:13:35 -0700
From:      Chris Stankevitz <chris@stankevitz.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Offline/online a drive from a mounted RW RAIDZx pool: resilver needed?

When I offline a drive from a RW RAIDZx pool and later bring it online,
do I have to endure a full resilver?

If not, ZFS must keep track of history (sort of like subversion) so that
it can replay missing data.  I believe the answer is "no" given my
experience today:

1. 11 drive pool healthy (~10 TB of data)

2. I (accidentally) pull a drive from hot-swap bay

3. pool degraded

4. 30 seconds later I reinsert the drive

5. pool still degraded (disk missing)

6. 300 seconds later I issue "zpool online /dev/daX"

7. A few seconds later, pool healthy again

8. I did not notice any resilvering

Chris