Date:      Sat, 12 May 2007 16:40:15 GMT
From:      Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/84154: Handbook somewhat off in use of /boot/kernel.old

The following reply was made to PR docs/84154; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, garys@opusnet.com
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 18:38:20 +0200

 I don't think these paragraphs needs further clarification.

 In the first case, we don't need to complicate the matters by pointing
 out the kernel.old creation is conditional.  It's just not important in
 the context of telling the user installkernel installs new kernel
 into /boot/kernel.

 In the second case, we want to stress to user that kernel.old cannot be
 trusted and that the user should do his own kernel.good copy.
 The debated change made kernel.old a bit more trustworthy, but I don't
 think we need to relax our message to user here. Let him be scared, we
 can afford a little lie (simplification, really) here.

 --
 Pav Lucistnik <pav@oook.cz>
               <pav@FreeBSD.org>

 It whines, glows and fades...