Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 15:32:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Nguyen-Tuong Long Le <le@cs.unc.edu>
To:        <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Periodic task

Hi all,

I run experiments to measure the stability of router queue length.
In my experiment set up, I have 7 clients and 7 servers connected
to a router via an ELS-100 switch. The 7 clients and 7 servers establish
long-lived TCP connections and saturate the router's 10 Mbit link.
All machines run FreeBSD 4.3 with the router having the ALTQ 3.0 patch
(http://www.csl.sony.co.jp/person/kjc/programs.html).

There seems to be some periodic tasks that occur every 20 minutes
and draws the queue length to 0. I run several experiments and
consistently observe the same pattern. I don't have any cron job
on the machines. I have a graph of the router's queue length at
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~le/tmp/qlen.png

Does anyone know what the problem is and how to solve it?

Please kindly reply to me because I am not on the list.

Thanks,
Long