Date:      Sun, 28 May 2017 10:23:27 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kamil Czekirda <kczekirda@FreeBSD.org>, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Mariusz Zaborski <oshogbo@FreeBSD.org>, Steven Hartland <smh@FreeBSD.org>, "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@FreeBSD.org>, Toomas Soome <tsoome@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r314948 - in head: lib/libstand sys/boot/i386/libi386

On 28/05/2017 01:09, Kamil Czekirda wrote:
> In initial revision I noticed, that I'm not sure it should be default behavior.
> In a lot of installations pxeloader can base on the cache and doesn't require
> second, full request with the same answer. In that situation we can switch off
> bootp() and I think it would be nice to have this switch and give them to users.
> Flag during compilation is sensible.
>
> In very simple and popular case we have chain with four requests for the same
> information (!):
> PXE (NIC) -> iPXE -> pxeloader -> dhclient
> and it's possible to switch off request from iPXE and pxeloader without breaking
> boot process.

Well, the information given to PXE/NIC and iPXE is not exactly the same as
bootfile must differ.  Also, a nit: as far as I know, it's currently impossible
to run dhclient on a network booted _diskless_ system.
So, yeah, in some setups we can shave off a request from pxeboot and it probably
makes sense to have that option.

--
Andriy Gapon