Date:      Tue, 20 May 2008 02:46:17 +0000
From:      Rick Nekus <solarux@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: slide rules

My Uncle , a long-retired Consttruction Engineer used a "slide-rule" to est=
imate the quantity/mixture/plasiciity/...
of ALL the concrete needed for the building of the John Hancock building in=
 Chicago with nothing but a "Slide-Rule". !
-NO, I kid you not. His results? -its still standing. -"NO" computers neede=
d. Of course he had a few decades of experience with concrete prior.
=20
yup, and he still likes to remind me of that fact, and ya, I do have some l=
inks now to prove it.
:)
-whatever can work.
> Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 13:52:09 +1000> From: grog@FreeBSD.org> To: saltmi=
ser@gmail.com> CC: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org> Subject: Re: slide rules> > On=
 Sunday, 18 May 2008 at 17:18:30 -0400, Jim Capozzoli wrote:> > So, I pulle=
d out the slide rule yesterday that's older then I am..and> > I figured out=
 how to multiply/divide on it. Is there anybody out> > there still using sl=
ide rules for day to day math? Or does anybody> > have any interesting stor=
ies/reminiscences about slide rules? I was> > considering figuring out how =
to do Trig on it and then taking my Trig> > final with it. :)> > Heh. I don=
't know where my slide rule is, but it's definitely a lot> younger than I a=
m. So the following is from memory. It applies to> the conventional slide r=
ules that I know, with C/D scales going from 1> to 10 at the bottom, and A/=
B scales going from 1 to 100 at the top> (giving squares of the correspondi=
ng scale below).> > To multiply two numbers, you place the 1 on the C scale=
 (bottom of the> slide) against the first number on the D scale (directly b=
elow on the> body). Move the cursor (or your eye :-) to the second number o=
n the C> scale, and read off the result on the D scale.> > To divide one nu=
mber by another, you place the divisor the C scale> above the dividend on t=
he D scale. Read off the quotient on the D> scale below the 1 on the C scal=
e.> > Greg> --> See complete headers for address and phone numbers.