Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 1996 14:41:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Brant M. Katkansky" <bmk@transport.com>
To:        alk@Think.COM (Tony Kimball)
Cc:        gclarkii@main.gbdata.com, current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: perl4

> I absolutely agree that we need perl (or more accurately that "FreeBSD
> needs perl").  I claim that it does not belong in the base OS, because
> it is not tightly coupled, and because most perl users will use the
> most recent version, and *not* the version shipped, so it is a legacy,
> baggage.

> Making the base OS small is a Good Thing.  Making it independent of
> the choice of perl version level is a Good Thing.  The point is to
> give users the freedom to choose, rather than forcing them to remove
> perl by hand in order to eliminate an abhorrent redundancy.  Would you
> require that XF86 be bundled as well?  Mi genoito!

I'd have to agree in principle.  Perl doesn't belong in the base OS -
it's too much of a moving target.  However, since Perl *is* part of
FreeBSD, and certain aspects of the base OS depend on Perl, we can hardly
it isn't going to happen.

I use perl5 for all of the perl scripts that I write, but keep perl4
on the system so that legacy scripts (esp. those shipped with FreeBSD)
will still run.

The way I see it, we have several options:

* Leave things the way they are, and keep perl4 as the standard perl.
Perl5 can be installed in /usr/local as a package.

* Ship perl5 with the base OS.  Not good, it adds bloat to the base
release and may break a lot of existing scripts.

* Remove perl from the base OS and let this be a local policy matter.
Realistically, this isn't going to happen.

* Ship perl4 with the base OS, and provide an option in the install to
replace perl4 with perl5.  Still could have the potential of busting
some legacy scripts, but as long as the installer is informed of this, I
see no problems with this - as long as replacements for the
FreeBSD-supplied scripts are supplied.  Could be a real maintenance
nightmare.

As long as we have tools in the base release that depend on perl4, I
would have to go with the first or last option.