Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 15:49:18 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sound now works MUCH better on ThinkPad 600E

Just a quick note to those with IBM ThinkPad 600Es (and maybe some
other ThinkPads).

Until now it has always been required that /sys/conf/files be hacked
on after every source update for sound to work on a 600E. But, after
my cvsup of Feb. 17, it suddenly started working "out of the box".

As an added bonus, the sound level is now correct. Prior to this, the
sound from FreeBSD was always at a much lower level than sound from
Windows, even with the volume set to 100:100. It is now much louder
and about the same as it is under Windows.

On the other side of things, I still have to manually configure the
device in the kernel as:
device pcm0 at isa? port 0x52c irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x10
to get it to work. It MIGHT work with options PNPBIOS. Unless it can
be made to do so, it will still not work with a loadable driver module.

The only thing that is a bit messy is the device probe. When I first
saw the message, I figured my sound was dead, not better than before.

The device probe now prints:
csa0: <CS4610/CS4611> mem 0x50000000-0x500fffff,0x50100000-0x50100fff irq 11 at device 6.0 on pci0
csa: card is Unknown/invalid SSID (CS4610)
device_probe_and_attach: csa0 attach returned 6

I don't know the exact problem, but it doesn't keep the card from
working. Of course, there really is no such device but it seemed to
mess things up before and it does not now.

Now that this has been fixed, I guess I'll need to get a new laptop so
that I can start figuring all of this out again for that platform. :-)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)