Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 23:20:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ldconfig finding libraries, but ld is not.

Mikhail Teterin writes:
;->=> IIRC,  both ldconfig(8)  and  LD_LIBRARY_PATH are  for the  _runtime_
;->=> shared library linker and have nothing to do compiling programs.
;->=I  actually have/had  a PR  open on  this, as  it is  non-intuitive and
;->=non-standard to both not  include /usr/local/lib and LD_LIBRARY_PATH in
;->=the search path when compiling;
;->Mmm, "standard"? What  standard are you refering to?  "Intuition" is too
;->subjective...

I didn't start this, but the standard ports heirarchy is that
libraries from packages and ports go into /usr/local/lib. The system
doesn't search all the standard places that software from FreeBSD puts
libraries. This is bad.

Yes, there are lots of such places. That doesn't make the situation
not be bad - that just makes it more painfull, and harder to fix.

;->=I even on one machine went so  far as to install everything in /usr/lib
;->=just so things compile sanely for my less than FreeBSD-savvy users, and
;->=am currently looking into migrating to Linux to fully cure the problem.
;->Now, that's a threat :) AFAIK,  on Linux the self-built packages tend to
;->also  install  into /usr/local.

That may be true. But rpms - "packages" in FreeBSD terms - all go into
/usr. If packages didn't go into /usr/local, then not searching
/usr/local/lib wouldn't be a problem.

;->I don't see what  your problem is, to be honest.  Your "users" will have
;->to learn  how to add  directories to  the link-time search  path anyway.

Only if they are going to be installing new libraries in non-standard
places, or building their own. Not everyone does that. Not even all
software developers do those things.

;->They will  have libs in their  own ~/lib and other  locations, which can
;->not all be listed as  default. Also, remember about /usr/X11R6/lib. Some
;->will want /opt/lib as well, etc.

/opt? Haven't run into that one on a Linux system yet.

I still curse at regular intervals at the ports/packages collection
installing things in /usr/local. That means I need another place for
things that I maintain, instead of came with FreeBSD. Putting
everything in /usr is one such solution. /opt is another (but having
everything have it's own hierarchy pretty much sucks).

	<mike