Date:      Sat, 12 May 2001 11:15:34 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Cleto Pescia <cleto@eurisco.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   [FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE] Problem with make depend

Hello,

I am trying to build a custom kernel on a new FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE box and
I get an error while doing "make depend". Here is the relevant part of the
make process:

===> bktr
===> bktr/bktr
===> bktr/bktr_mem
".depend", line 1: Need an operator
".depend", line 2: Need an operator
".depend", line 16: Need an operator
".depend", line 18: Need an operator
No closing parenthesis in archive specification
".depend", line 21: Error in archive specification: ""
".depend", line 22: Need an operator
No closing parenthesis in archive specification
".depend", line 24: Error in archive specification: ""
".depend", line 25: Need an operator
No closing parenthesis in archive specification
".depend", line 27: Error in archive specification: ""
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules/bktr.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/compile/EURISCO.

I tried to figure out what's wrong with the Makefile or the kernel config
file, but I did not find anything. Any idea about what I'm doing wrong?
The kernel config file is rather vanilla, i.e. I only commented out some
network-related lines.

Thanks for any hint.

Cleto