Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 1999 16:50:19 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        "Oben O. Candemir" <dunya@one.net.au>
Cc:        Travis Cole <tcole@wcug.wwu.edu>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD IRC channels and ??quality??

On Tue, Jan 19, 1999 at 01:56:58PM +1100, Oben O. Candemir wrote:

> I look forward to it... I'm more convinced after an exchange with an EFNET
> #freebsd chanop (Jordan K. H.) that they are abusing the #freebsd name.

And you, sir, are abusing the newbies name.

Every syllable that oozes from your mouth reflects badly on all
newbies. Actions like yours are part of the cause of intolerance. You
are not yet familiar with how the community works but you're making too
many assumptions before you speak. In that situation you are bound to
lose any argument. But once you embarrass yourself you feel obliged to
come back again and again until you "win". THAT WON'T EVER HAPPEN.

Please consider adopting the same level of social responsibility that
you are trying to sell to others. Instead of whining about what people
should be forced to do for you, how about coming up with something you
can do for others, like everyone else here has done? Nobody's going to
force you to volunteer for anything you don't want to do, and nobody
expects you to tell them what to volunteer, either.

If we didn't disagree about a few things occasionally we'd never come
up with anything new. That doesn't mean it has to become a major
incident. Speak for yourself, say your piece once, then let it die,
even if that means silently watching others let off steam, taking a few
knocks, swallowing your pride, and doing some of the work for yourself.

And don't *ever* degrade our proud title by claiming to speak for newbies.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-