Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 1997 19:04:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
To:        Joe Diehl <joed@ksu.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sun type 5 keyboards (dream mode on)

On Sun, 27 Apr 1997, Joe Diehl wrote:

> I realize that at a technical level the sun type 5 keyboards work
> differantly than a regular PC keyboard, which would make this task easier
> said than done, but...  What would it take to try to get a sun type 5
> keyboard and mouse working on a FreeBSD workstation?

If you can live with using it only under X, it's probably not too
tough. Rip the Sun keyboard driver out of NetBSD and port it to
FreeBSD, to run over a PC serial port rather than the Sun serial
port. Sun runs on 5v rather than RS-232's 12v, so you'll probably
need to build a little voltage converter beastie, too.

I've considered doing this a couple of times, but it's easier just
to run NetBSD on my Suns instead. :-)

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates