Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:18:14 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Joachim =?iso-8859-1?Q?Str=F6mbergson?= <watchman@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Audit <audit@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Which mktemp()s are bad?

In message <39F5DFF7.8ABBAA99@ludd.luth.se> Joachim =?iso-8859-1?Q?Str=F6mbergson?= writes:
: I saw Joeroens posting on the mktemp() issue in printjob.c. During
: buildworlds I have seen warnings about mktemp() being used if not
: frequently, at least on quite a few places. This got me thinking -
: Generally, are all mktemp() calls bad? Which are the one that *really*
: should be eliminated? Can they all be emliminated?

Generally speaking, they are all bad.  However, there are some safe
ones in the tree.  It would hurt nothing to convert the safe ones to
using mkstemp, modulo repository issues.

: I did some grepping on the Stable tree as of 2000-10-24 and found a few
: places where mktemp was used, though mostly in contributed stuff, like
: GNU binutils.
:
: (Side note: Should those be fixed for FreeBSD or feedbacked to the
: respective team at FSF?)

Yes.  But likely the pain of doing it in the tree is too large for
David O'Brien to want to deal with.

Warner