Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 15:50:39 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        cool46 cool46 <coolunixer@hotmail.com>, questions <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: how to kill nfs-blocked process

# wmoran@potentialtech.com / 2002-10-11 09:39:38 -0400:
> cool46 cool46 wrote:
> > thanks for your reply,but it is not work for me.i tried to mount nfs
> > with options -i,-R,but the problem is as before.The details of my test
> > is as follows:
> > my nfs server(IP:10.0.0.1) is a RedHat 7.3 with kernel of 2.4.19
> > version,my nfs client(IP:10.0.0.2) is freebsd 4.5
> > 10.0.0.2:
> > mount_nfs -i -R 1 10.0.0.1:/home /usr/home
> > cp a_big_file /usr/home
> >
> > in the course of doing this,i disabled network between these two machine
> > by using iptables in 10.0.0.1
> > /sbin/iptables -I INPUT -p udp -s 10.0.0.2 -j DROP
> >
> > so the process 'cp' in 10.0.0.2 is blocked,I can't kill or interrupt it
> > in any way.According to mount_nfs's manual ,it should failed and return
> > in a few minutes because i set -R equal to 1,but the fact is not.
> > Could you help me?
> > thanks agains.i'm a chinese and glad to make friends with you.
>
> That should be the solution.  I'm not an NFS "expert" so you may want to
> consult with some others as well.  (I've put this email back on the mailing
> list)

     -i      Make the mount interruptible, which implies that file system
             calls that are delayed due to an unresponsive server will fail
             with EINTR when a termination signal is posted for the process.

    the above makes it look like you should be able to kill the process
    with your settings. but see below.

     -R      Set the mount retry count to the specified value.  The
             default is a retry count of zero, which means to keep
             retrying forever.  There is a 60 second delay between each
             attempt.

    this is probably what you're missing. works for me.

     -s      A soft mount, which implies that file system calls will fail
             after Retry round trip timeout intervals.

--
begin 666 nonexistent.vbs
FreeBSD 4.7-RC