Date:      Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:14:21 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: undefined reference to `memset'

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org> writes:
>
>>I wondered if it might be because of something like -O2 (don't do that)
>

> Peter, stop that.  The kernel builds and runs fine with -O2, and has
> for a long time.
>
> DES

No it doesn't.  See the gymnastics that Bill Paul had to do recently in
the iee80211 code to get around the insane inlining that gcc does with
-O2.  I'm not saying that gcc produces incorrect code, but I am saying
that there is very strong evidence that it produces code that is
incompatible with the restrictions inherent to the kernel, mainly that
stack space is not infinite.

Scott