Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2005 18:59:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mervin McDougall <mcd_advisory@yahoo.com>
To:        Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg <listsub@401.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Instead of freebsd.com, why not...

--- Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg <listsub@401.cx> wrote:

> Chris Zumbrunn wrote:
> >
> > On Feb 12, 2005, at 9:11 PM, Roger 'Rocky'
> Vetterberg wrote:
> >> Maybe just the FreeBSD part and a couple of
> stylized horns over it,
> >> but that would mean Beastie would not be clearly
> visible and I dont
> >> know if I dare to suggest that. ;)
> >

> > I agree something like this...
> >
> > http://top.ch/sitedata/freebsd/freehorns.gif
> >
> > ...would be possible as well.
> >
> > But personally, I think FreeBSD should celebrate
> some of its
> > idiosyncrasies - specially the ones that are
> representative of its BSD
> > UNIX tradition. To professionalize FreeBSD we
> would have to change its
> > name before we would "have to" drop Beastie as its
> logo. It's probably
> > even true that FreeBSD is more associated and
> recognized by its Beastie
> > logo than by its name - and I'm not kidding.
> >

> Totally agree, and thats why I suggest keeping
> Beastie as a mascot.
> Look at linux, everyone knows the linux penguin, but
> that doesnt stop
> RedHat, Caldera, Debian etc from having professional
> looking logos.
> And I think most of us agree that the reason RedHat
> is more accepted
> then FreeBSD in the commercial world is not due to
> its superior
> quality, stability or heritage, right?
> Maybe their more professional looking image has
> something to do with
> it? ;)
>
> --

how can we sit back and embrace halloween as a custom
where kids dress up as all form of Un Godly creature
with all companies promoting all kinds of costumes and
parents willing to allow their children to enjoy that
season and think it is ok but wrong for us to embrace
beastie as a logo for FreeBSD. There is nothing wrong
with freebsd just the way that persons wish to
intepret  it. We need a new advertising staff and some
good PR people not a new logo