Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2007 18:45:49 +0100
From:      Ulrich Spoerlein <uspoerlein@gmail.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   sysutils/fusefs-ntfs working for anyone?

Hi there,

I've been trying to mount my NTFS partitions with the NTFS-3g project's
FUSE implementation but am unable to mount anything.

I'm on 6-STABLE and have the latest versions of FUSE installed:

fusefs-kmod-0.3.0_4 Kernel module for fuse
fusefs-libs-2.6.2   FUSE allows filesystem implementation in userspace
fusefs-ntfs-0.20070207RC1 Mount NTFS partitions and disk images

I use the sysutils/ntfsprogs port to create a NTFS filesystem. I can
also mount this filesystem using mount.ntfs, yet I fail to get anywhere
with ntfs-3g. What's that darn seekscript about anyway?

# mkfs.ntfs -fF /dev/md7
/dev/md7 is not a block device.
mkntfs forced anyway.
The sector size was not specified for /dev/md7 and it could not be obtained automatically.  It has been set to 512 bytes.
The partition start sector was not specified for /dev/md7 and it could not be obtained automatically.  It has been set to 0.
The number of sectors per track was not specified for /dev/md7 and it could not be obtained automatically.  It has been set to 0.
The number of heads was not specified for /dev/md7 and it could not be obtained automatically.  It has been set to 0.
Cluster size has been automatically set to 512 bytes.
To boot from a device, Windows needs the 'partition start sector', the 'sectors per track' and the 'number of heads' to be set.
Windows will not be able to boot from this device.
Creating NTFS volume structures.
mkntfs completed successfully. Have a nice day.
# ntfs-3g /dev/md7 /mnt
Failed to open /proc/filesystems: No such file or directory
modprobe: not found
Failed to open /proc/filesystems: No such file or directory
# mount_fusefs: seekscript failed

The fuse module is loaded, of course. A ktrace of the ntfs-3g is, umm,
interesting, to say the least. Lot's of sh(1), awk(1) and fstat(1)
calls. It even tries to load modprobe, as you can see from the output
above too.

So, the basic question is: Has _anybody_ used ntfs-3g successfully on
RELENG_6?

Ulrich Spoerlein