Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 17:28:24 +0000
From:      rob <europax@home.com>
To:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   the linux-rpm not working, need more linux compat info

I tried to use the linux rpm for installing gtk+1.2 so that I could run
the latest linux Mozilla.  It was unable to unpack the rpm and
complained that chown could not find a file in /etc/gtk.

I realized while doing this that I really need more info on how the
linux emulation works in FreeBSD.  For example, the /compat/linux system
has its own ldconfig.  Should I run that manually, or does the kernel
module run that at boot up?  Also, how do the various linux system
binaries know that they should work only in the /compat/linux
directories?

What documentation is available?  The Handbook provides no answers.
I typed in 'locate linux' and didn't see any applicable manuals there.

Thanks, Rob.