Date:      Sat, 11 Jun 2005 02:55:24 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Tony Shadwick <tshadwick@goinet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: system cloning

On 2005-06-10 16:41, Tony Shadwick <tshadwick@goinet.com> wrote:
> Nope, everything is from ports.  was just trying to avoide the 2+ days
> of compiling needed to rebuild everything. :(

Shutdown the system, install a new disk (or RAID of disks) and then move
over the data, as described in the following blog post of mine:

http://keramida.serverhive.com/weblog/archives/2004-10-26/daemonizing-a-new-disk

I used the process described in this post to move over an already
installed FreeBSD system from a 45 GB disk to a new 200 GB disk,
back in October.

Following this mini-guide, you won't need to rebuild anything at all.

( Mental note to self: This question comes up so often that I should
probably convert the blog post to an article and commit it to the
doc/ tree :-/ )

- Giorgos