Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 1995 09:43:12 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Holland <ianh@tenmail.mincom.oz.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Who killed the cache?

I thought I'd relate an experience that I've just had that may
help others, as well as illuminate the vagarities of the hardware
that FreeBSD has to put up with.  The system I refer to is on
cheap (relatively) hardware running FreeBSD 1.1.5.

A while ago, I asked the questions list for possible causes of
stray interrupts (especially during gcc execution) and occasional
system reboots (not panics).

The concensus appeared to be bad cache chips, or even a poorly
designed motherboard.  So, being the optimistic type, I tried
disabling the cache, and things appeared to work okay.

After several months of procrastination, I decided that I'd replace
the cache, but wanted to totally convince myself that it *was* the
cache.  So I disabled the cache and began to thrash the machine
(by repeatedly recompiling a shallow source tree).  After six
recompilations, gcc fell over with an interrupt.  This was a tad
surprising, and I must admit, a bit disappointing.

By this stage I was beginning to resign myself to parting with
some "readies" for replacement components, when I remembered that
the system appeared more stable during winter (that's now folks).
So, off came the cover, out came the pedestal fan, and with a
large box and a bit off counterbalancing, I had an external cooling
system.

Ran the tests again, and after 30 odd cycles, my confidence was growing.
Out came xv and xboard, still with the compilations in the background.
After 300+ recompilations I was feeling a bit cocky.  The upshot being
that I thrashed the machine like it ain't been thrashed before, and it
just sailed on through with nary a wimper.

Now, all I need to do is find a more permanent cooling system.

--
Ian Holland                      DOS - a case study in
Mincom Pty Ltd                   cerebral ischaemia.