Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 2017 07:22:41 -0400
From:      Baho Utot <baho-utot@columbus.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD did it again (still)

On 07/06/17 02:07, Heikki Lindholm wrote:
> On 06.07.2017 00:39, Baho Utot wrote:

>>> That was odd. But if you provide more detailed info I'm sure there is
>>> help on the list.
>>>
>>> I only use portmaster due to its ease of use, have no experience from
>>> synth.
>>>
>>> //per
>>
>> What is ODD is that I have not received my original post that started
>> this thread, from the mailing list.  It has not come thru the FreeBSD
>> mailing list.   I wanted to have a look at the headers. I checked the
>> timestamps on my client box was/is correct ( running ntp ) my mail
>> server is correct ( running ntp ).
>>
>> I am investigating why  the upgrade to the laptop has failed.   This
>> happens every time I upgrade if the upgrade cycle is 6 months to a
>> year.  I simply don't have the time to go thru this every time I do an
>> upgrade.  It should just work ( I know some edge case may not that is
>> not what I am talking about ).  One should be able to update a machine
>> ( desktop ) and it should still function.  If I am crashing a package
>> or two that is fine, the whole desktop should not go from usable to
>> crashing/puking/barfing.
>
> I think problems are to expected from a rolling style of distro. I've
> been using FreeBSD as my main desktop for half a year now and every
> ports upgrade has required some tweaking. I've submitted patches and
> they have usually been applied quickly and stuff has got fixed. On the
> flip side you get the ability to configure the ports (which I've found
> so great in FreeBSD ports that it's hard to go back to anything else)
> and not having to do major re-installs of the whole system every half a
> year to stay current (ubuntu).

Should you not be confindent in that the base system builds followed by
Xorg and a desktop manager?

> Compared to, say, gentoo, FreeBSD ports has still been much less
> trouble. On gentoo, in addition to generic ports breakage, you're also
> fighting the ports/package manager that constantly wants you to accept
> packages, one by one, from testing/unstable side or add accepted
> architectures to packages, just make stuff buidld/install at all.
>
> One thing I'd like to see in a ports system (if not already there) is
> some kind of install journal and tools using it that would allow, for
> instance, to do a whole reinstall from scratch as in "do what I did to
> build this system, but use the new versions" and it would install ports
> with the same options in exactly the same order (if allowed by new
> dependencies), or allow removing cruft introduced by some package that
> I've deleted that no other packages are using (pkg autoremove is too
> broad).

I am doing what you are asking for by using some shell scripts and
synth.  The problems comes from after getting it to work when you bring
the script and synth out 6 months later it will not build a system that
runs,  only crashes and then you get to fix it.. Well I just don't have
time for that type of cycle any more.  If synth plus some scripts worked
8 times out of 10 I would be good with that but it fails every time.  I
can not then build reproducable systems.  The two problems I have is
that if I don't save the svn repos for base and ports somewhere I have
nothng to start from to build a system.