Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 12:40:25 +0100 (MET)
From:      Emmanuel DELOGET <pixel@DotCom.FR>
To:        chuckr@mat.net (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, toasty@home.dragondata.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, dm@globalserve.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Hackers Mail List)
Subject:   Re: NFS - Will it ever be fixed?

As the well known Chuck Robey said...
->On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:
->
->> :
->> :I'm not sure he'd be available, but are you saying that if he had time,
->> :and we were able to offer enough, McKusick couldn't do it?  He's not the
->> :only one I'd have sufficient faith in (read that, if they failed, I'd
->> :feel it was well worth the risk).  I'd kinda lke to pay Heidemann to
->> :implement stackable filesystems here.  You see what I mean.  This isn't
->> :something we could do a lot (there is a limit to how much money could be
->> :collected this way) but I think once or twice could be done, and with
->> :potential terrific effect.  I think both John Heidemann and Kirk
->> :McKusick would like to do it (although I couldn't guess at their current
->> :calendar commitments).  I don't know how much it'd cost us ...
->>
->>     Well, you could ask Kirk, but I don't think he'd be interested.
->>
->>     I can think of four, possibly five people that could do this, but I
->>     can't think of a single one that has the time.  We are talking at
->>     least 2 months worth of work and probably more for someone who already
->>     knows the code, and 4 months of work for someone who doesn't.  $25K
->>     may seem like a lot of money, but not for 2+ months of work without
->>     any guarentee of payment.
->
->Where did you read "without any guarentee of payment" from?  Not me!
->With guys like that, I would pay for their time.  They know who they're
->dealing with, and you know darn well that if they failed, (1) they tried
->as hard as they could and (2) no one could have done better.  You have
->to have some ethics here, and try to act like a reasonable person.
->Neither of those guys are going to cheat anybody, and both would work
->just as hard as they could on this; you know very well they wouldn't
->want to report failure to us.
->
->As far as when, I said I didn't know their calendar, but being willing
->to wait some would be a very good idea.  Wanting it done RIGHT NOW is
->being childish.
->
->Heck, this summer *I'd* want to do it, but I have neither their talent
->nor their reputation.  I couldn't hope for such a deal.
->
	Hey... I think I'm dreaming. You'd pay to have this NFS stuff
	fixed ?!?!!? I don't think this fits very well with the spirit
	of a free OS. Perhaps I'm wrong, but, if you pay someone (even
	McKusick) to do this work, you may enter in a new land, where
	committers would want to be paid to fix up little things. This
	is crazy. Perhaps we'll have a 'letter to FreeBSD hobbyists' in
	some days that woul say :

	"Some poeple spend hard time to work on this really great
	piece of software. These poeple cannot work for nothing,
	that's why you must buy FreeBSD. If you do not pay FreeBSD,
	you just steal hours of hard and expensive work."

	This sound like another old letter that a guy in Redmond (tm ?)
	wrote years ago.

	Do we have to add these lines to the FreeBSD licence ?