Date:      Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:01:32 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Thompson, Jimi" <JimiT@mail.cox.smu.edu>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Stupid ASCII loader prompt

Hi Jimi,

  First, if yuor a FreeBSD user it's YOUR logo too, not just mine.

  Second, I agree with the sentiments - which is why I do not intend
to participate in the rediculous "contest" for a new logo which was
announced here last month.  I urge everyone else not to participate also.

  The core developers who want to change Beastie are not graphic artists,
they know they aren't graphic artists, and they have never been able to
come up with anything to replace beastie that looks a tenth as good.
They
know this which is why the put together the contest.  If nobody
participates
in the contest then they will be back where they started from and will
not have gained anything in the attempt to change beastie.

  If that happens not only will beastie stay but the malcontents will
have
gotten such a significantly embarassing and bloody nose over the affair
that they will then hopefully drop this stupid and misguided campaign.

  Remember - these religious right politically correct types draw
strength
in numbers.  They know they are a minority in the userbase, and so the
only hope they have of winning is the following:

1) is getting a sufficient number of FreeBSD users converted
over to the way they think.

2) Hiding behind the existing FreeBSD core team and making the rest of
us think that the entire core team is united in wanting to toss Beastie.

So far, numbers 1 and 2 aren't true, and unless the userbase starts
thinking that they are, this effort will die a quiet death.

Ted