Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 17:14:58 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
Cc:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>, bill@bilver.magicnet.net, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID-3 and RAID-4 (was: RAID1 Software vs Hardware)

On Sunday,  8 November 1998 at 23:23:04 -0700, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
>>> RAID-3 confines parity to 1 member of the array.  The size of the stripe
>>> is not a part of the specification.  In the case of Pluto products, we
>>> usually use a stripe size of 1MB which implies a per-unit access of
>>> 1MB/N-1 (N being number of members in the RAID group).
>>
>> This looks like RAID-4 to me.  Where do you see the difference?
>
> RAID-4 adds the ability to do smaller than whole stripe updates with only
> touching the affected members of the stripe and the parity.  RAID-3
> concerns itself only with whole strip accesses.  Since we have full control
> over the stripe size and know in advance the type of data we will store
> and the way it is accessed, RAID-3 is sufficient for Pluto's application.

Hmmm.  I looked up my references and found that they are obviously
incorrect, though I hadn't noticed that before.  Where (on the web)
can I find a reliable definition?

If I see this correctly, then, are you saying the big difference
between RAID-3 and RAID-4 is in the software, not in the storage
layout?

Greg